Sunday, March 4, 2012

Strange Bedfellows & In Class Speakers


Strange Bedfellows

With the issue of gay marriage gaining momentum as a possible reality, I find that you will find many alliances between all groups of people who are for or against gay marriage.  The fact that members of the Black church are joining conservatives on this issue seems to be a problem for some.  Quite a few people think this alliance is unhealthy for the Black community, and will take away from the political clout of Black leaders/politicians as they now have to compete with conservatives on the issue of gay rights.  In the article, Professor Ron Walters, expresses concern about the alliance of the black church and conservatives stating that, “it’s a strange partnership.” Honestly I find it odd that people would call this a strange partnership.  If they agree on an issue, then let them agree on the issue and voice their opinions on the issue as they see fit.  However I could particularly see how this could hurt the Black community if Black voters begin to vote for conservatives who may not fight for their rights on particular issues.  But I don’t see any reason why these two groups of people cannot stand together on an issue they find important.  I’m sure there were people who thought that whites who participated and collaborated with African Americans in the civil rights movement was a “strange partnership.”  Reverend Al. Sharpton’s statement that, “he believes in equal human rights, before the law, for all human beings, and race, gender, disability, class, or sexual orientation should not be a factor under the law,” was very interesting to me.  While I understand the desire for gays to have the rights to marry and what not, it also makes me wonder what then we would have to allow as far as sanctioning marriages – incestual relationships? Underage marriages of youth to older adults? Etc.  What would differentiate these groups “rights to marry” from gay’s rights to marry? 

Class Discussion on Thursday

The discussion on Thursday was interesting as far as learning about the differing identities and preferred vocabulary of the LGBTQ community.  I appreciated the fact that all who came to spoke were of African American descent and members of the LGBTQ community so that we could truly see how these two dynamics intersect and conflict.  I have been in other classes in which members of the LGBTQ community came to speak, but this one was definitely more appropriate in learning about difficulties members of this population face as members of the African American community as well.  The presence of the guest speakers was particularly important in hearing first-hand how they navigate their unique identities.  As noted in the readings, the voice of the Black church seemed to impact their daily lives in some senses.  Or rather one particular speaker, Zach, expressed his experiences with the church and noted that although he does not interact with the church as much as he did when he was younger he feels it played an important role in affecting the lives of Black members of the LGBTQ community.  I particularly appreciated that he said although he didn’t agree with the church or particularly identify with its values, he respected it in the fact that he knew there were people who were members of the Black church and the importance it had in their lives. I think this is a healthy mindset that members of any contrasting populations could adopt.  Even though one may not agree with something, they can still respect the people who do believe/identify with what they disagree with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment