Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Affirmative Action, Supreme Court, Fisher vs UT


I feel like affirmative action should be abolished when people in this nation are no longer discriminated against because of their race or ethnicity, be it covertly or overtly.  It should be abolished when minorities no longer have the highest rates of poverty, unemployment, incarceration rates, dropout rates, etc. 
I do not see affirmative action as reverse discrimination, but rather as a balancing of the scales.  McGarvey is right when he says that it makes sense to give the economically disadvantaged more support, but I say this is only correct in allotting financial aid.  The reality is that people of color do get passed over for jobs, college admission, loans, etc, for the simple fact that they are not white.  Peggy McIntosh’s article on white privilege lists just some of the many privileges that come with being phenotypically white.  I also feel that whether affirmative action exists or not, there will still always be the idea by others in society that people of color are inferior.  Affirmative action does not tell me that I am inferior.  It only speaks to the fact that historically, myself and other people of color would be viewed inferior and ultimately denied access to many benefits and resources. 
I find it outrageous that what is viewed as the norm in this country reflects mainly one dominant group of people who have maintained their positions of power for over 400 years.  Because of these standards that are in place and the inferior EDUCATION that people of color too often receive, the work, qualifications, and accomplishments of people of color will never measure up to par until the standard in this country reflects a more culturally inclusive criterion.  Until then, affirmative action is needed.  The brief filed by the Obama administration on behalf of the university at the 5th circuit said it best, "The question is not whether an individual belongs to a racial group, but rather how an individual's membership in any group may provide deeper understanding of the person's record and experiences, as well as the contribution she can make to the school.” 
Perhaps in order to combat reverse racial discrimination, other factors such as where a student grew up, attended high school, parents’ educational attainment, parents’ occupation & annual income could also be included as marks of consideration.  But then what would be the grounds upon which students were admitted?  As stated earlier, the “standards” in this country unfortunately reflect one dominant group’s accomplishments/preferences.  Admission thus has to be a case by case basis.  The University obviously can’t let everybody in, because then the school would have to deal with over population.  President Powers said it best, noting that “it is vital for the university to weigh a multitude of factors when making admissions decisions about the balance of students who will make up each entering class.” 

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. I like the fact that you opened up with a strong statement saying that until racism is completely gone in this country and all are treated fairly and equally should affirmative action be overthrown. It is difficult to understand this as a move for "reverse racism" when racism is very much so still an issue today. While many may think it has been depleted or completely nonexistent, this is not at all the case. Very interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also see affirmative action as a balancing of the scales. It’s great to think that we are all equal and we can be judged based on academic merit but the fact is we are far from that. I also agree when you state that regardless of affirmative action, there will always be idea that African Americans are inferior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely agree with you on the need for affirmative action until all are treated fairly. It amazes me that McGarvey can think affirmative action is no longer needed because things are "equal" now. I wish it was a requirement to take either Dr. Gilbert's class or one similar to it in order to graduate. I wish McGarvey could be educated on the realities of being African American so that he could write a follow up to his article and say that he was wrong and that affirmative action is needed because things are no where near equal. That tragic events like Trayvon Martin's murder are still occurring and justice has still not been served is argument enough to say things are not equal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like some of the distinctions you made in reference to affirmative action, but as far as the necessary case by case process that you feel is required for fair enrollment, do you think that if that were the process that it too wouldn't be challenged by the race or gender of the caseworker? As badly as I would like to trust that would be the case I feel like unfortunately, it wouldn't be much time before there was accusations of racial bias or something of that sort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that Afrimative Action should stay in place until it becomes a balance for people of color to gain and move forward in life. Though I feel we as a people have a long way to go because we have to collectively support each other to win equality for all of our people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Affirmative action is definately a balancing of the scales and at just like any other college, everyone no matter the race cannot or may not be admitted. I feel like affirmative action is needed to achieve equality, so until equality is achieved, affirmative action will be needed. I am completely SHOCKED that McGarvey believes that affirmative action is no longer needed because everything is equal now. It upsets me that some people overlook this issue. Racism is quiet in America and up until recent events, it is starting to present itself once again with the Travyeon Martin case. Overall, GREAT post.

    ReplyDelete