Monday, April 2, 2012

Blog Week 10

I feel as if my experience in school was very different from those in the case studies, as I primarily went to schools that were mixed, mostly Hispanic and African American.  I went to one predominantly white school in 5th grade, after my family moved to a predominantly white neighborhood.  However the middle school that I was set to attend was a magnet school, located in an African American neighborhood, directly across the street from my church.  To some extent, I would say that my family was somewhat like Karen & Derrick's in that we were race conscious.  My family was similar to Karen's in that my father had a large library on prominent African Americans.  My sisters and I grew up watching "Eyes on the Prize" film series, as well as Roots.  In addition, my Grandma, on my mother's side (who was actually Mexican American) sent my sisters and I books that were focused on African American heritage and history (as well as some books/objects focusing more on our Mexican American Heritage).  I would say that my family was like Derrick's in that, when my family moved out of our mixed neighborhood to a more "white" community, we maintained our close ties to the Black community.  I would say that this was accomplished due to our heavy involvement in the Black church.  To this day, all of our close family friends are African American, with the exception of one or two people. 

1 comment:

  1. I also think that I identify with Karen's story. My family is very race concious as yours is and although I live in a white neighborhood my siblings and I are in sync with our african american heritage. How does being half mexican american affect you in identifying racially?

    ReplyDelete